Venezuela coach offers resignation after 'political' visit
European Football Headlines
- Real Madrid held against Getafe, loses ground to Atletico
- Atalanta beats Fiorentina to reach Italian Cup final
- Everton-Crystal Palace Preview
- Wolverhampton-Watford Preview
- West Ham United-Tottenham Hotspur Preview
- US soccer to play Jamaica in June 5 exhibition in DC
- Italian league condemns racist chanting in Lazio's cup win
- What to watch in Europe's leading soccer countries
- Mbappe closing in on Messi in race for Europe's Golden Shoe
- Newcastle United-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
MADRID (AP) Venezuela coach Rafael Dudamel offered his resignation after the 3-1 friendly win against Argentina on Friday, saying the team was used politically during its trip to Spain.
He told a news conference he will still be at the helm when the team faces a Catalunya side in a friendly on Monday in the Spanish city of Girona, but says his future will be decided in talks with federation officials in the coming days.
Dudamel says he is not happy with the political use of a visit by a government official before Friday's match in Madrid.
The political turmoil in Venezuela increased when President Nicolas Maduro's re-election last year was deemed illegitimate by several governments.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated March 22, 2019