Venezuela coach offers resignation after 'political' visit
European Football Headlines
- Fernandez scores twice as Timbers outlast rival Sounders 2-1
- White, Robles help Red Bulls hold off Orlando City, 1-0
- Sevilla beats Liverpool 2-1 in Fenway Park friendly
- Revolution beats FC Cincinnati 2-0, extends unbeaten streak
- Atlanta United scores late goals to beat DC United 2-0
- Kane wonder strike gives Tottenham 3-2 win over Juventus
- Zidane says Madrid has found new club for Gareth Bale
- Russian fans clash with baton-wielding police at stadium
- Silva's volley lifts RSL to 1-1 draw with Minnesota United
- Wondolowski, Earthquakes hand Whitecaps 5th straight loss
MADRID (AP) Venezuela coach Rafael Dudamel offered his resignation after the 3-1 friendly win against Argentina on Friday, saying the team was used politically during its trip to Spain.
He told a news conference he will still be at the helm when the team faces a Catalunya side in a friendly on Monday in the Spanish city of Girona, but says his future will be decided in talks with federation officials in the coming days.
Dudamel says he is not happy with the political use of a visit by a government official before Friday's match in Madrid.
The political turmoil in Venezuela increased when President Nicolas Maduro's re-election last year was deemed illegitimate by several governments.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated March 22, 2019