France opens Euro 2020 qualifying with 4-1 win at Moldova
European Football Headlines
- Martial penalty completes Man United's 4-0 win over Leeds
- West Ham sets club transfer record to sign Haller
- African Cup final much more than Mane vs. Mahrez
- North and South Korea to meet in 2022 World Cup qualifiers
- Fleetwood coach Joey Barton charged with assault
- Newcastle hires Steve Bruce as coach to replace Benitez
- Draw for the Asian qualifying groups for the 2022 World Cup
- Prized defender De Ligt undergoing medical with Juventus
- UEFA fines Russia's Krasnodar over unqualified coach
- Red Star Belgrade edges through in Champions League prelims
CHISINAU, Moldova (AP) World Cup winner France started its European Championship qualifying campaign with a 4-1 victory over Moldova on Friday.
Antoine Griezmann, Raphael Varane and Olivier Giroud scored inside 13 first-half minutes and Kylian Mbappe added the fourth goal late in the second half of the Group H encounter.
Vladimir Ambros netted a consolation with Moldova's first shot on target in the 89th minute.
The only surprise was that it took France 23 minutes to make the breakthrough.
It was a goal of sublime quality as Griezmann's short pass to Paul Pogba was, in turn, floated over the defense for the Atletico Madrid striker to run on to and connect with a left-foot volley from seven yards (meters) for his 27th goal in 68 internationals.
Griezmann was the supplier three minutes later with a corner that Varane met at the near post with a flicked header. It was again all too easy for the third as Pogba combined inside the area with Blaise Matuidi, who dinked in a cross which Giroud touched home with his left foot for his 34th international goal.
It took until the 87th minute for Mbappe to break Moldova's second-half resistance, slotting home from 12 yards.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated March 22, 2019