Sterling scores hat trick, England beats Czech Republic 5-0
European Football Headlines
- North and South Korea to meet in 2022 World Cup qualifiers
- Martial penalty completes Man United's 4-0 win over Leeds
- West Ham sets club transfer record to sign Haller
- African Cup final much more than Mane vs. Mahrez
- Fleetwood coach Joey Barton charged with assault
- Newcastle hires Steve Bruce as coach to replace Benitez
- Draw for the Asian qualifying groups for the 2022 World Cup
- Prized defender De Ligt undergoing medical with Juventus
- UEFA fines Russia's Krasnodar over unqualified coach
- Red Star Belgrade edges through in Champions League prelims
LONDON (AP) Raheem Sterling scored his first England hat trick in a 5-0 victory over the Czech Republic at the start of 2020 European Championship qualifying on Friday.
Harry Kane also netted a penalty and Tomas Kalas compounded the visitors' miserable night by scoring an own goal at Wembley Stadium as England made an emphatic start to its bid to qualify for a tournament it is largely hosting.
Although Euro 2020 is being played across 12 countries, Wembley is staging seven games including the semifinals and final.
In Group A, England next plays on Monday against Montenegro, which drew 1-1 with Bulgaria on Friday.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated March 22, 2019