Sterling scores hat trick, England beats Czech Republic 5-0
European Football Headlines
- Real Madrid held against Getafe, loses ground to Atletico
- Atalanta beats Fiorentina to reach Italian Cup final
- Everton-Crystal Palace Preview
- Wolverhampton-Watford Preview
- West Ham United-Tottenham Hotspur Preview
- US soccer to play Jamaica in June 5 exhibition in DC
- Italian league condemns racist chanting in Lazio's cup win
- What to watch in Europe's leading soccer countries
- Mbappe closing in on Messi in race for Europe's Golden Shoe
- Newcastle United-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
LONDON (AP) Raheem Sterling scored his first England hat trick in a 5-0 victory over the Czech Republic at the start of 2020 European Championship qualifying on Friday.
Harry Kane also netted a penalty and Tomas Kalas compounded the visitors' miserable night by scoring an own goal at Wembley Stadium as England made an emphatic start to its bid to qualify for a tournament it is largely hosting.
Although Euro 2020 is being played across 12 countries, Wembley is staging seven games including the semifinals and final.
In Group A, England next plays on Monday against Montenegro, which drew 1-1 with Bulgaria on Friday.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated March 22, 2019