Striker Fredy Montero returning to Vancouver Whitecaps
European Football Headlines
- Sterling scores hat trick, England beats Czech Republic 5-0
- England, France win big; Portugal held as Euro defense opens
- Venezuela beats Argentina 3-1 to spoil Messi's return
- Portugal held by Ukraine on Ronaldo's return
- Venezuela coach offers resignation after 'political' visit
- Angola clinches African Cup place as final qualifiers begin
- France opens Euro 2020 qualifying with 4-1 win at Moldova
- Sterling pays tribute to deceased player after England goal
- Tyler Adams leaves US soccer team, returning to German club
- After buying Team Sky, Ineos makes change at Lausanne-Sport
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) Colombian striker Fredy Montero has returned to Major League Soccer's Vancouver Whitecaps, agreeing to a two-year contract.
Sporting Lisbon in Portugal announced earlier Friday that it had released Montero.
Montero had 47 goals and 34 assists for the Seattle Sounders in 119 regular-season games from 2009-12. He had 13 goals and six assists in 33 regular-season games for the Whitecaps in 2017.
Vancouver opens its MLS season against Minnesota on March 2.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated February 15, 2019