Charles nets 2, Eibar fights back for 2-2 draw with Getafe
European Football Headlines
- Adidas: Spain's FA has no grounds for ending contract
- DaMarcus Beasley to retire at end of Houston Dynamo season
- Diego Costa injures ankle in Atletico Madrid friendly
- Mkhitaryan to miss Europa League final for political reasons
- Spanish club Alaves hires Garitano as coach for next season
- Messi, Aguero and Di Maria in Argentina's Copa America squad
- Swedish club Djurgarden says player has been racially abused
- English Premier League broadcast rights rise to $12 billion
- US to host Cuba on Oct. 11, Canada on Nov. 15
- Brazil coach Tite under pressure ahead of Copa America
MADRID (AP) Brazilian striker Charles scored two second-half goals as Eibar fought back to earn a 2-2 draw and deny Getafe a chance to move into fourth place in the Spanish league on Friday.
Charles' double took his team-leading tally to 12 goals.
"I have to congratulate my team for tying a game that we were on the brink of losing," Charles said. "My team gave it our all."
A win by Getafe, a modest side from Madrid that is proving to be the surprise package of la Liga, would have lifted it past Sevilla and into the Champions League positions.
Getafe opened up a 2-0 advantage at Eibar after forward Jaime Mata struck in the 36th minute and Dimitri Foulquier scored from the edge of the area in the 52nd.
But a handball by Getafe defender Djene Dakonam inside the box allowed the hosts to get back in the match.
Charles converted the resulting penalty in the 67th. He then secured the draw with 10 minutes remaining when Getafe's Leandro Cabrera headed the ball back toward his goalie, only for Charles to intercept it and knock it home.
"We strikers have to be in the right position knowing that the defender can make a mistake, and that is what happened," Charles said.
Getafe remained in fifth place and Eibar stays 10th.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated February 15, 2019