|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Atlanta United star Almiron week to week with hamstring
European Football Headlines
- Slovakia coach quits after 2 defeats in Nations League
- US headed to Women's World Cup with 6-0 win over Jamaica
- Canada gets into Women's World Cup with 7-0 win over Panama
- Italy leaves it late to earn 1st competitive win in a year
- Dutch defeat of Germany shows that the future is bright
- Paco Alcacer making most of 2nd chance with Spain
- Wrong anthem, right result for Gibraltar in 1st win
- Penilla has goal, assist in Revs' 2-0 win over Orlando City
- US guards against overconfidence in World Cup qualifying
- Canouse's late goal lifts DC United into playoff position
ATLANTA (AP) Miguel Almiron is battling a left hamstring injury with Atlanta United trying to clinch the best regular-season record in Major League Soccer.
The star midfielder is listed as week to week, putting in doubt his status for United's final two games. He also will miss a chance play for his national team in Paraguay during FIFA's international window, remaining in Atlanta to rehabilitate his injury.
The team said Tuesday that Almiron was hurt during last Saturday's 2-1 win over New England. The victory kept United one point ahead of New York Red Bulls in the race for MLS Supporters' Shield, which assures a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.
After this week's' international break, United hosts Chicago in its final regular-season home game Oct. 21 before the closing the season at Toronto a week later.
Atlanta is assured a first-round bye in the MLS playoffs, giving Almiron additional time to recover.
For more AP soccer coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/MLSsoccer
Updated October 9, 2018